16 (The Long Haul film)
|Occupation||Ice cream parlor mascot (possibly formerly)|
|Actor||Devon Bostick (2010-2012)|
Charlie Wright (2017)
|First appearance||Diary of a Wimpy Kid (online)|
|Last appearance||Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Big Shot|
|“||Don't be good at something you don't want to do!||”|
|— Rodrick to Greg Heffley|
Rodrick Heffley is the aggressive older brother of Greg and Manny Heffley and the drummer and founder of the rock band Löded Diper. He is a major character in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, acting as a tertiary antagonist in the series overall and serving as the main antagonist of Rodrick Rules.
In the first three Diary of a Wimpy Kid films, he is played by Devon Bostick, with the role being passed on to Charlie Wright in the film adaptation of The Long Haul. He is slated to appear in the animated Diary of a Wimpy Kid film for Disney+.
Birth and Childhood
When Greg was little, Rodrick liked to mess with his head. The first lie he told Greg was that if your belly button got untied, your butt would fall off. Greg told his whole preschool class, which caused a big stir. Another lie was that the toilet seat was only used for girls. Greg believed this, until he accidentally left the door unlocked, and Susan found him. Once he told Greg that, if someone wears camouflage, they are invisible to everyone else. That incident got Greg banned from the pool for the rest of the summer. Sometimes Rodrick's lies even end up costing money. Greg once believed that, if you put money in the ground, it will grow into a money tree. Rodrick took the money, and Greg lost a lot of his birthday money until his mom stepped in to help him.
Rodrick Heffley attended Westmore Middle School and became friends with Chris and Ward and they together created the band Löded Diper. He also wrote an assignment called A Hundred Years Ago; this assignment was the reason Frank started to do his homework for him. He used to be a trouble maker in school and was greatly disliked by some of the teachers there, one known person being Mr. Huff. During this time Rodrick tried out soccer but quit because of Mr. Litch.
A summer later, Rodrick and his friends were going camping overnight looking for concert tickets; during that time they meet Bill Walter. Rodrick became friends with him and looked up to him, because in high school he was voted, "Most Likely To Be A Rock Star".
Rodrick attended Crossland High School, but the school has not been mentioned for a while. He either graduated or the school has simply not been mentioned, since the series is on a floating timeline.
Like Greg, it is explained that Rodrick has no actual talents at all, is only good at a few things, mainly rock music, and spends most of his time on it, which drafts him away from schoolwork. He would much rather sleep for hours over doing anything else. Fitting with his love for heavy metal music, Rodrick is the lead drummer of a band called “Löded Diper”, a metal band. Its lead singer is a man whom Rodrick's parents are afraid he will become like: Bill Walter.
Rodrick is extremely lazy and careless when it comes to school, which explains where Greg gets his laziness. He almost never gets a grade above C-, except for his book reports, where however Frank does nearly all the work due to Rodrick's inability to type. Greg believes that Rodrick is lazy and unintelligent in all other areas, though there are clues that show otherwise. Rodrick clearly isn't the smartest of his family, since he hardly makes an effort at school and constantly asks his parents to do his work for him, as already mentioned. Sometimes he can even get rewarded for bad grades. When Greg was invited to a café by his parents as a reward for his great half-year report card with A's and B's on it, Rodrick was allowed to come too despite of his report card being as terrible as usual. Although Rodrick is portrayed in this manner, he is actually quite manipulative and intelligent in conning other people.
Rodrick is said by Greg to be a terrible speller (though he spelled everything right besides band names on his activity page in The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book) and is said to be completely ignorant about how to use any electronic device (although this may be more manipulation to get things done for him; he is clearly seen using a music player in Rodrick Rules and a cell phone in a flashback in Dog Days, and in The Ugly Truth it is shown that he uploads photos online and he is again seen using a music player once again in Hard Luck. He also messages his friends inThe Deep End). Rodrick did terribly back in elementary and middle school. He also thinks you can get bacon from pigs the same way eggs come from chickens.
The only reason Rodrick is doing slightly better at high school is that he cheats by having his dad do all the work for him, but in Hard Luck, it is said his first quarter didn't go well, meaning that his father might have stopped helping him. In the online book, Rodrick gets into a big fight with his dad in seventh grade, so he had to do a history paper himself. Greg buys that paper and flunks it. He is shown to misspell a lot of words even in the recent books, like for example, in Dog Days and the online book, when they got Sweetie (the dog), Rodrick went and got the dog a bowl that says "Sweaty". In The Long Haul, he thought a safe is a microwave and bacon comes from pigs in the same way that eggs from chickens.
Even though Rodrick is often lazy, mean, careless, and irresponsible, he is shown to have a softer side at times, as seen where he can occasionally treat Greg nicely and the brothers get along. They also do some stuff together.
In the most recent books, he tends to be more responsible and treats his family nicely with respect.
- Rodrick's science project and his grades for his SAT exams have not yet been revealed so far, though there is a possibility it may come in future books. In the online version, however, Rodrick got no ribbons for his science project.
- Rodrick once slept for 36 hours and didn't notice until he saw that Monday Night Football wasn't on, because it was Tuesday. He also had a bad habit of falling asleep in the hot tub and once Susan forgot to wake him up, resulting in his skin looking like a prune for two weeks during which his high school did their yearbook photos.
- Rodrick's room is located in the basement of the house. In the film, however, it was relocated to the attic as the house the producers used to film all the Heffley household scenes had no basement.
- Most of the characters in the book only show their eyebrows when they are mad. Fitting with Rodrick's antagonistic behavior, however, he always looks angry due to him having eyebrows all the time.
- It's hinted in the online book that Rodrick has never had a legitimate girlfriend since Greg has never seen him with a girl. However, in The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book, it is hinted in a letter that he was associated with a girl named Lyndsey, who seemed to break his heart in some way. This may explain why he acts incredibly rude and immature.
- Rodrick is a major antagonist of the three series; book, film, and online version. However, he isn't an antagonist in The Third Wheel, Hard Luck, and Big Shot
- He has had a minor role in the recent books, since Dog Days, with the exception of The Long Haul.
- In Diary of a Wimpy Kid Online, he has a ute car while the van belongs to Bill Walter, however in the books and films the van belongs to him.
- He is thought to have a love for pranks. In the Rodrick Rules film, he takes Greg to a mall and throws fake vomit on cars. This ends with the boys being chased through a dumpster and the mall by an angry gym teacher (Coach Malone). He is also shown pulling pranks on Greg other adults and teenagers in many of the books, for example putting fake vomit on cars, shooting spitballs on a man and mentioned to have pranked people with dollar bills underneath the boardwalk.
- However, the first one with fake vomit on cars in Rodrick Rules book DOES happen, but Greg isn't involved.
- It is most likely he has a social network account because according to Greg in The Ugly Truth, he uploads pictures of his band. But after when Susan told him that people will look at his social media profile before giving him a job, in order to make him stop posting pictures of his band.
- It's likely that his social media account could have been a Facebook account since The Ugly Truth was published in 2010.
- Despite appearing on all the books' first page (which generally has all the books' protagonists) Rodrick is only a major character in Rodrick Rules and The Long Haul with every other appearance being minor (under 30 pages).
- Rodrick is shown to be taken advantage of for the first time in Old School. This is also the first time he doesn't squeeze out of a situation from his Dad, Frank.
- Rodrick cut off some of his hair and one of his eyebrows in the online version when he grew a great mustache.
- In Dog Days, Rodrick got Sweetie's name wrong on the water bowl, which he spelled "Sweaty".
- Rodrick is usually the main antagonist in Diary of a Wimpy Kid, minor antagonist, and anti-hero in Rodrick Rules and Old School.
- It remains unknown if Rodrick got fired from his job at Old-Timey Ice Cream Parlour after Old School.
- It is assumed that he has minor dyslexia as he has trouble with writing and spelling.
- Rodrick is based on Jeff Kinney's older brother named Scott Kinney.
- Rodrick made an appearance in a Happy Meal Commerical created by McDonald's alongside with The Pig, Gammie, and Sweetie.
- It is unknown if he is in college as of Double Down or not, even though his mother has tried to persuade him to apply for numerous ones, where he eventually applied (even though he didn't know) for dog schools.
- In the online version, Greg states that Rodrick has a bee sting allergy.
- Like Greg and Manny, Rodrick is also rarely seen smiling.
- It is implied in Hard Luck that he gets his thick eyebrows from his mom’s side of the family, as his maternal aunt Gretchen also has thick, always shown eyebrows.
- Rodrick has one of the biggest fanbases out of all the characters especially for teenagers mostly because of the portrayal by Devon Bostick
- It is very possible that Rodrick has read Greg's diary as he knows that Greg has a crush on Holly Hills, he tried to steal it in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, and the "of a wimpy kid" on the cover looks similar to Rodrick's handwriting
- Many fans considers him as the most normal out of the family because all the bad things he has done is usually harmless
For more images, see: Rodrick Heffley/Gallery