|Name||Gregory "Greg" Heffley|
|Actor||Zachary Gordon (2010-2012)|
- “Just don't expect me to be all "dear diary" this, and "dear diary" that.”
Gregory "Greg" Heffley is an American middle school student who goes to Westmore Middle School and also the main protagonist of the book series Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the main antagonist of Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid.
According to Jeff Kinney, Greg is based on his own worst qualities in middle school.
Although he claims otherwise, Greg is cocky, lazy, selfish, narcissistic, self-centered, manipulative, and obviously lacks real human integrity. He hardly has any talents or skills aside from video games, drawing, and possibly singing. He hates taking the blame for anything and would much rather take all the credit for his others’ hard work than do anything for himself. Greg has also been known to be very clumsy, as he forgets his homework, and when he was eight, wet the bed.
His best friend is Rowley Jefferson. Rowley takes part in Greg's schemes and is often a victim of Greg's manipulation and deception. The two have a very complicated relationship, as Greg sometimes takes advantage of Rowley's good nature, and his own schemes fail due to Rowley's foolishness or Greg’s own stupidity. Rowley's parents, mainly his father, view Greg as a bad influence on their son because Greg has a tendency of getting himself and Rowley into trouble.
At school, Greg often receives bad grades, gets bullied, deals with the difficulties of middle school, and is always trying to earn popularity points in order to gain attention and respect (though his plans to do so often result in either his own popularity dropping, or unintentionally raising Rowley's popularity).
At home, Greg has a mixed relationship with his family, especially with his younger brother Manny, who is overly pampered and protected by his parents (particularly his mother Susan). His mother tries to devise ways for Greg and his older brother Rodrick to get along but never work out. That's because Rodrick hates Greg. Greg's father, Frank, is annoyed by Greg's antics and laziness and tries to make him more active. Greg has a love/hate relationship with his older brother, Rodrick. Greg is often tormented and bullied by Rodrick and is also the victim of his pranks, yet they do care for each other deep down. In addition, he has inherited many of Rodrick's traits (such as laziness, inflated ego, etc.). In fact, many of Greg's teachers dislike him because they originally had Rodrick as a student even though Greg's classroom behavior does not mirror Rodrick's.
An important trait of Greg that becomes more apparent as the novels go on is his lack of logical and critical thinking. A lot of his actions are shown to have no thought or consideration prior to being acted out, and usually end in disastrous repercussions. Greg also has been shown to display constant forgetfulness as well as no linear thinking. Another character trait of Greg is his paranoia, which sometimes seems to get the better of him.
Greg is also noted for having many attractions to girls throughout the series, most notably a girl named Holly Hills, his classmate. His schemes usually fail in the hope of attracting girls though.
Greg rarely learns from his ill-fated mistakes and continues to scheme and plot for his various goals. Because of this and his impulsive nature, he usually puts himself and others in trouble, and will often try to find another person to take the blame.
He also stands up for Rowley sometimes as shown in the movie when he lied and told everyone that he ate the cheese and complimenting Rowley that he was a nice kid in Dog Days
However, despite all this, Greg still has had his kind and caring moments, but not very common.
Greg is usually depicted with black shorts, or pants (sometimes black jeans, or, when he is fantasizing, a black tuxedo) and a shirt. He is very skinny and does not seem to eat nor work out much. His father has tried to get him to work out and exercise, but he prefers playing video games. His nose is a simple oval but stops where the first eye is while his ears are circled. His head is a circle that stops around his left eye. He also appears to wear contact lenses, which he mentioned in The Last Straw. He wears his backup glasses when he runs out of them. Greg also has a retainer as mentioned in Diary of an Awesome, Friendly Kid, and headgear as shown in The Ugly Truth. He also wears white shoes or black sandals (as shown in "Dog Days") In the movies, he has brown hair and pale white skin. Like in the book, he's visually skinny and slightly shorter than Rowley.
- Greg likes and started watching soap operas after talking to Annette, a hairdresser in Bombshells Beauty Salon, as shown in Dog Days.
- Revealed in The Third Wheel, Greg can recall his pre-birth and his newborn years accurately.
- The whereabouts of him and his family are unknown after the events of Wrecking Ball.
- He is not very good at math in general.
- Throughout the series, Greg ages 12-15, as the digital synopsis of Diary of a Wimpy Kid (film).
- Greg is 8-9 years older than Manny as said in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth
- According to the Class Clown short, the Dog Days film takes place in 2012, the year it's released, meaning the film version of Greg was born on June 18, 1998.
- He is known for manipulating others and using them as servants, such as Rowley, Christopher Brownfield, Frew, Fregley, etc.
- He seems to have a dangerously high metabolism. It is shown as he eats a lot of junk food and even can't deliberately gain fat. He seems to be unable to gain muscle as well. As told in Old School.
- He is extremely gullible as he believes every lie Rodrick or Albert Sandy had said but with some doubt.
- Greg is older than Rowley, as his birthday takes place during the summer, while Rowley's takes place during the first semester of the school year.
- Greg was born on February 23 in the online version. His birthday is close to the birthday of Jeff Kinney, the author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
- Greg was made in 1998 by Jeff Kinney and was continuously worked on until 2004.
- Despite being close to a teenager, Greg still believes in Santa and is often paranoid about him.
- He does not do research and guess on his projects and he fudged both his Moose and Chimpanzee essays and his international showcase of Malta due to him forgetting about it.
- As what has been stated by Greg's creator, Jeff Kinney, Greg is drawn almost completely bald. Additionally, he slightly resembles Charlie Brown in Peanuts since both of them have a few sprigs of hair.
- Greg was born premature, as stated in The Third Wheel. He was only five pounds seven ounces at birth, which means he was likely born 3 weeks early.
- Greg has been in detention 16 known times:
- 1st Detention: For sleeping in class in The Last Straw.
- 2nd Detention: For being disrespectful to a teacher in the Class Clown short.
- 3rd Detention: For selling a fake elevator pass to a 6th grader. Greg himself bought the pass on his first day in middle school. This occurred in The Third Wheel.
- 4th-13th Detentions: In The Meltdown, a substitute teacher taught at the school. Greg and his friends decided to prank him by switching their names. The boy who said his name was Greg Heffley started misbehaving. The substitute teacher told the principal that "Greg Heffley" had been misbehaving. This caused the real Greg to receive 10 detentions.
- 14th-16th Detentions: Getting caught copying off Rowley's paper on a test, causing him three detentions, and to retake the test. This happens in Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid.
- It is revealed in The Last Straw that Greg swears a lot, often swearing at school and even swearing in front of his toddler brother, Manny, and also using "made-up" swears like "Raspberry Plastic Tickle Bear!", etc.
- Greg is shown to swear and yell a lot in The Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book's version of Diary of an Awesome, Friendly Kid.
- In the second film when Greg finds out Manny put a cookie in his gaming console, you can see that it is an Xbox 360 Slim. In Dog Days, there are multiple times when you can see Greg playing a PlayStation Portable and an Xbox 360.
- Greg is shown to be playing with a controller almost similar to the Nintendo 64 controller.
- None of the Wimpy Kid books' covers feature Greg smiling. However, The original Do-It-Yourself Book's cover has Greg smiling.
- Greg is seen to have a high voice in the first, second, and fourth films but in Dog Days his voice is deeper. This is most likely due to his original actor, Zachary Gordon, going through puberty.
- Greg is the least popular kid in school in the first film after he got beaten up by Patty in Wrestling Class, and in "The Wizard of Oz" play.
- Greg believes that he is the best person he knows. He also seems to be quite self-absorbed due to his thoughts about some people and how oblivious he is of his behavior sometimes.
- Greg has contact-lenses, as mentioned in The Last Straw.
- His sight must be very bad, as he wears thick glasses in The Last Straw when he lost his contact lenses.
- He is Grandpa's favorite out of Frank's three sons, as revealed in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules.
- Greg appeared in an Igdoof comic, but he was referred to as Buster.
- Greg is right-handed, as revealed in Double Down.
- In Double Down, it is implied that maybe Greg has undiagnosed Truman Show syndrome, which is a delusion disorder in which the person believes their lives are television shows.
- Greg owns a Ladybug in the Dog Days book and in the Dog Days film and later mentioned in the book. Hard Luck later temporarily owning her mother's Cell Phone. In the Long Haul film, it shows Greg owning an iPhone. In the book The Getaway, Greg is shown to own an iPod. It is unexplained how he received it.
- In the Rodrick Rules film, it is showed that Greg has a YouTube Channel named "amazinggregheffley".
- A channel on YouTube has the same name but it was a fan account.
- In the book "The Ugly Truth", Greg has a social media account, possibly Twitter or Instagram due to having a bunch of pictures.
- In the first film, it's revealed Greg is in the 6th Grade, and in the "Rodrick Rules" film it is stated by Greg that he is in the 7th Grade. Then, in the "Dog Days" film it is mentioned by his Dad that Greg is going to the 8th Grade.
- In the online version, is it revealed Greg is in 7th grade
- In the books, Greg was in 6th grade in book 1, 7th in books 2-3, 8th in books 5-8, and 9th in books 10-14.
- He went through the metal detector rather than the X-ray machine scanner in The Getaway, The X-ray machine is used for 13-year-olds and over, although he said that it's only for grown-ups. Although the entire family might have gone through the metal detector due to having Manny with them.
- Greg's age is revealed as 13 in the online version.
- Greg's favorite color is blue, shown in a piece of paper in the Getaway.
- It also is shown that Greg's favorite animal is dogs.
- In Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Getaway, Greg is shown to have arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, and Greg once fainted after seeing crickets in a box. Usually, it is a childish habit of fainting at the sight of insects and arachnids, considering Greg possibly have entomophobia.
- In the book "Dog Days", Greg's phone number is revealed as 555-2941.
- Greg claims to have the ability to beat all of his classmates in video games.
- Greg made an appearance in a Happy Meal Commercial created McDonald's alongside with the pig, Rodrick, Gammie, and Sweetie.
- In the books "Dog Days" and The Ugly Truth, Greg's address is revealed as 12 Surrey Street.
- In the online version, Greg states that he writes in his journal so he can get out of doing chores.
- Some photos show Greg with a tablet but it is never mentioned if he has one or not.
- It also says that Greg has a computer in his room. The movie version of Greg has a MacBook.
- In the first book, Greg said he is smaller than 95% of people in his grade.
- Before visiting Isla de Corales, Greg has never flown on a plane.
- The front of Greg's head was shown in class clown and The Third Wheel and the back of his head in The Getaway and The Meltdown.
- Greg has an innie belly button.
- He wears tighty-whities.
- For more images of Greg Heffley, see Greg Heffley/Gallery.
NOTE: This link redirects to the official Wimpy Kid website.