|Name||Francis "Frank" Heffley|
|Actor|| Steve Zahn (2010-2012)|
Tom Everett Scott (2017)
- "You know what my grandpa used to say? "A man who never made a mistake never made anything." The trick is to be responsible and learn from your mistakes. And you can do that. You're a really great kid, Greg. And I'm not just saying that because we're a lot alike."
- -Frank Heffley to Greg
Frank Heffley is one of the main characters of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. He is Greg's, Rodrick's, and Manny's unpredictable and serious father. He is the husband of Susan Heffley and the elder brother of Joe Heffley and Gary Heffley. He normally appears as a main character in the books but appears as the main antagonist in The Last Straw.
Frank is over-possessed, opprobrious, critical, over-reactive, shrill, irritable, easily-bothered, and emotional, but still a caring, delighted, well-meaning father who has a good heart. He always wants his kids to be strong and well rounded, such as supporting Greg's interest in weight lifting. He is constantly bothered and troubled by very small matters, such as Rodrick's typing skills and Greg's silly mistakes, and always want his wife and kids to look good in front of his boss, a very small matter that Frank constantly gets worked up about; this shows that, like his middle son, he is shallow, insecure and worries about what other people think about him rather than what he thinks about himself. He is very serious and over-possessed in the fact that if his sons do something that irritates him ever so slightly, it makes him become incredibly serious, critical, and vituperative of their behavior.
He is a hard worker but has a poor relationship with all of his sons, since the three cannot relate to each other at all in any way possible, nor can they relate to Frank himself. Frank has a very strong interest in American history, proven by the fact that he builds a Civil War battlefield in his spare time. He does not let anybody into the furnace room where the Civil War battlefield is housed, as he is extremely cautious and attentive about what he lets people do to his battlefield and he thinks it can be easily ruined.
Greg also explains that his father can't buy anything without his mother's permission in Cabin Fever.
BackgroundFrank Heffley was born in 1964 in Plainview to Grandpa Heffley and Nana Heffley he had two younger brothers Gary Heffley and Joe Heffley and also had a dog named Nutty as a child until one day Grandpa ran over Nutty by accident with his Car and made up a story that he went to a butterfly farm .He attended Westmore Middle School During the late 70s During that time, he was often bullied by Billy Staples who was often known to pin kid's arm behind their backs until every kid in the neighborhood, including Frank, told their parents about it causing them to get angry about it and then yelling at Billy Staples, making him cry.
Then in the Summer of 1983, he married Susan Heffley. They had their first child, Rodrick, in 1989, then Greg Heffley in 1991, and then Manny in 2001.
The book's illustrations depict Frank with an elliptical face, wearing a tie and suit with a few strands of curled hair. Sometimes, Greg illustrates his father as wearing boxer shorts and a vest, but this is only when his father goes to bed. He also sometimes wears a cap on his head. Usually, at home, he doesn't wear a tie and suit.
In the online version, he looks nearly the same, except that there are many little strands of hair on the back of his head.
In the movie, like everybody else in his family, Frank has rough brown hair and light skin. He usually wears business outfits, just like he does in the books and the online version.
GalleryFor more images, see Frank Heffley/Gallery.
- He confirms he grew up in Plainview in Wrecking Ball.
- Frank is hinted to be an office worker in many of the books, and he is shown to be working in an office in The Third Wheel, however the information on his profession and where he works remain unknown.
- Frank is a junk-food addict, therefore implying that he may have a high cholesterol level. This is considered rather ironic as Frank is not depicted as being overweight. Although it's possible he may have a high metabolism, just like Greg.
- Frank shows deep hate for heavy metal music and strongly disapproves of Rodrick's ambition to becoming a professional rock musician.
- Despite spoiling their youngest son just as much as Susan, Frank seems frustrated with babying Manny so much showing he does have his limits with his youngest son.
- As depicted in Rodrick Rules how Manny is too stubborn to be potty trained
- Also in The Last Straw, when Manny refused to give up his pacifier, Frank threw away Manny's pacifiers, forcing him to go cold turkey.
- He is implied to suffer from gephyrophobia (Fear of bridges) in The Long Haul. He also gets dizzy when he drives over them, but it is unknown whether the dizziness is a response to fear or if he's afraid because he's anticipating the dizziness.
- In addition to his interest in assembling toy Civil Wars battlefields, Frank also likes Civil War stuff, as depicted in the third movie. He's shown to take the reenacting very seriously, wanting it to be as historically accurate as possible.
- Frank's age is not revealed in the books. However, in the second movie, Greg mentioned that Frank and Susan could be at least 40.
- In The Meltdown, it's revealed he used to play with Greg and Rodrick all the time when it snowed until one time when Rodrick dumped a shovel load of snow down his back.
- He is the oldest of his three brothers.