This article is about the online version. For the first book, see Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
|Diary of a Wimpy Kid (online)|
"The hazards of growing up before you’re ready are revealed through Greg's words and drawings in his diary."
May of 2004
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Online is the original version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid that is found on Funbrain.com. It was first published in 2004, with new pages being added each day until 2005. The books are based on the online book were also written by Jeff Kinney as the online book was created to see what people thought of it before considering releasing a published and printed book. It is the first book in the entire Wimpy Kid series, this must-have ignited the first book, with a few differences, and a couple of references to future books. The online version is based on the first eight books in the series and has nearly 1,300 pages.
The first artwork of the online book was made in 1998 and in 2004 Jeff Kinney uploaded it. Although he had made many strips, only a few made the cut in the main books.
Differences Between the Online and the Book Series
Main Storyline (Work in Progress)
Here is the story line. Each month is split into its own page to avoid it being lengthy.
- Frank Heffley
- Ann Heffley
- Rodrick Heffley
- Manny Heffley
- Rowley Jefferson
- Ben Fielders (Main Antagonist)
- Greg Heffley
- Many characters have different names than their series counterparts. For example, Greg's mom's first name is "Anne" instead of "Susan."
- The online version most likely takes place in New Jersey -- for example, Greg mentions that his old best friend, Ben, moved to a town called Piscataway, and there's only one town in the United States called Piscataway, and it's located in New Jersey. Another indication that the online version takes place on the East Coast is a store called "Shop 'n' Stop" (changed to "Home Depot" in the books).
- The book version most likely takes place in Ohio (probably somewhere in the Greater Columbus Area) due to references to the I-270 and to King's Island being 100-miles away.
- As mentioned above, the book is basically a mashup of the first eight books in the series but draws mostly from the first three.
- In this version, alcohol references are made, such as when Rodrick's party was discovered and shown in the picture taken by the camera that Rodrick was holding alcohol, a man smoking was replaced with a person eating chips in the same drawing.
- This version of the novel is considerably less kid-friendly than physical books.
- There's a page where Jeff Kinney asked if the fans would like it to be adapted as book.
- The online version shows more violence than the books
- Greg and Rowley are revealed to be in 7th grade.
- Greg's birthday is in February (during the winter) instead of during the summer (in June).
- The last scene from the online version to have a big role in the books was the scenes with the Drummies! in Cabin Fever.
- On-Page 227, the one-armed drummer Rodrick refers to is Rick Allen from Def Leppard.
- When Mr. Underwood tells Greg he's paired up with Stinky, he calls him "Fregley"
- On Day 2, after Greg says that his dad, Frank Heffley, went downstairs because Greg ate Cheerios at 3 am from a prank by Rodrick, in the sentence "I don't know which is worse, getting yelled at or having to see your father in his underwear.", it is said as " getting yelled at our having to see your father"
- On page 26, there's a sentence that started with the word "Nobody", only it's spelled "Nodoby"
- After Ann told Gramma where she got the tabloids, in the sentence "Mom found where Gramma was stashing the tabloids", the word "the" is spelled as "he" This also happens on page 493.
- On Day 34, St. Peters is referred to as "Saint Patricks"
- At the last sentence on page 257, the word "about" is spelled "aout"
- On page 386, the dot (.) was next to “E”
- Greg says “Pappy” on page 387 except Grampa/Grandpa
- On page 608, the word bubble was pointing the wrong way.
- On page 394,"words" is spelled like "words".
- On Page 395 when Rodrick is seen talking to his friend Ward on the phone it is said like "I Had to wait out there while Rodrick had a Conversation with this friend,Ward"
- Page 875 and 876 both show a picture of Greg wearing his speedos and talking about he wished he hadn't worn it.
- On page 36, Greg's speech bubble is facing the wrong way and is all the way at the top right corner. Also Rowley and Greg are on the left and right respectively on the page before, but afterwards, they are in the opposite places.
- On page 906, Frank says "kind of". However, it is seen as "kindof"
- On page 608, Fregley needs to use the bathroom But the speech bubble for the teacher is facing the wrong way.
- On-Page 70, "with her arms full" is written/typed twice before "of books".
- On page 111, it says, "Let's just say I can't understood how George Washington ever got elected president." Understood should be changed to Understand.
- On page 118, "trying" is spelled "strying".
- On page 817, the "s" is directly to the right of the ",".
- On page 819, "technically" is spelled "technicaly".
- On page 822, "Fregley" is spelled "Fregly". This also happens on page 1007. Also, 1055-1058. 1211-1215, too. 1218 also.
- On page 870, the skating kid is "Tyler Murphy", but on page 880, he is "Taylor Murphy".
- On page 1122, the period is too faraway.
- On page 957, the Country "Luxembourg" is spelled Luxemburg.
- On page 1129, Ben Fielders is known as Ben Fielder.
- On page 178, the word "got" in the first paragraph is duplicated.
- On page 241, October 30 is listed as "Friday", when it should be listed as Saturday.
- On page 303, in the last paragraph, one of the "I's" is missing.
- On page 363, Rodney's hair isn't colored in.
- On page 584, the 'a' in the first paragraph is duplicated.
- So is the word "to" in the last paragraph on page 586.
- On page 631, there is a apostrophe next to "it" in the first paragraph.
Here is a small sneak peek of the first eight pages in Diary of a Wimpy Kid (online).